Also known as:
Cipmox is one of the best forms of antibiotic available today. It is used to treat infections
caused by certain bacteria, including: infections of the ear, nose, and throat (pneumonia, bronchitis);
infections of the genitourinary tract; infections of the skin and skin structure; infections of the
lower respiratory tract; gonorrhea, acute uncomplicated (ano-genital and urethral infections) in male
Cipmox is also used before some surgery or dental work to prevent infection. It is also used in
combination with other medications to eliminate H. pylori, a bacteria that causes ulcers.
Cipmox may also be used for other purposes not listed here.
Cipmox acts by inhibiting the synthesis of bacterial cell wall and stopping the growth of
Cipmox is available in capsules.
Cipmox is usually taken every 8 hours (three times a day). It can be taken with or without
The chewable tablets should be crushed or chewed thoroughly before they are swallowed. The tablets and
capsules should be swallowed whole and taken with a full glass of water.
Take Cipmox exactly as directed. Do not take more or less Cipmox or take it more often than
prescribed by your doctor. Do not stop taking Cipmox without talking to your doctor. To clear up
your infection completely, continue taking Cipmox for the full course of treatment even if you feel
better in a few days. Stopping Cipmox too soon may cause bacteria to become resistant to
Adults: 500 mg PO every 12 hours or 250 mg PO every 8 hours for mild/moderate infections and 875 mg PO
every 12 hours or 500 mg PO every 8 hours for severe infections.
Infants older than 3 months, Children, and Adolescents: 20 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 8 hours
(Max: 250 mg/dose) or 25 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 12 hours (Max: 500 mg/dose) for mild to
moderate infections and 40 mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 8 hours (Max: 500 mg/dose) or 45
mg/kg/day PO in divided doses every 12 hours (Max: 875 mg/dose) for severe infections.
Neonates and Infants 3 months and younger: 30 mg/kg/day PO given in divided doses every 12 hours.
In case of overdosage, discontinue medication, treat symptomatically, and institute supportive
measures as required. If the overdosage is very recent and there is no contraindication, an attempt at
emesis or other means of removal of drug from the stomach may be performed. A prospective study of 51
pediatric patients at a poison-control center suggested that overdosages of less than 250 mg/kg of
Cipmox are not associated with significant clinical symptoms and do not require gastric emptying.
Interstitial nephritis resulting in oliguric renal failure has been reported in a small number of
patients after overdosage with Cipmox.
Crystalluria, in some cases leading to renal failure, has also been reported after Cipmox
overdosage in adult and pediatric patients. In case of overdosage, adequate fluid intake and diuresis
be maintained to reduce the risk of Cipmox crystalluria.
Renal impairment appears to be reversible with cessation of drug administration. High blood levels may
occur more readily in patients with impaired renal function because of decreased renal clearance of
Cipmox. Cipmox may be removed from circulation by hemodialysis.
Store between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F) away from moisture and heat. Keep bottle closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Keep out of the reach of children.